Login

Chat and banter about Minor LCV's
starider

Login

Post by starider »

Been trying for months to login,managed tonight by over riding the block on the login box. I know Brian is worried about the lack of use on the forum so will try to use the forum more regularly.
My posts may often be non Moggie commercial, but hopefuly some of you may find them interesting.
My van is still away being prepared for a respray. This dreadful virus has put paid to many projects which are now on hold. The workshop where the van is lost it's power just before Lockdown and is still awaiting the attension of an electrician. I may finish up having the van back here,it's certainly not spending another winter where it is at present.
I think I may have said I purchased a very rare DAF 33 Van[1973] in January and have been working steadily on it since Lockdown and like the Moggie it is mechanically fine and all welding completed. I'm now in the process of building a shed for the mini digger to free up an area in the barn for spraying the DAF and possibly the Moggie Van ....starider :)

Plin

Re: Login

Post by Plin »

:D Glad you managed to log in! Will be great to hear how the DAF 33 Van is getting on (as well as your Minor van of course!)

moggybrian

Post by moggybrian »

Hi Guys & Gal's, :D
This poor doddery old soul needs help! :oops:
I have successfully managed to do most of the muckanical oily bits on 'Ughie' the 'Driving School Car'
engine/box has to come out for original recon unit to go back in with a new'box,
but here is the rub for me!? ;)
I need to clean and paint underneath for my own gratification, :roll:
so, has anyone got a 'turning' rig which means I could
turn the whole thing sideways and stand up to do it!!
but then of course!!! there is the other option? :idea:
who would be fool enough to offer to do it for me? :!:
there are no front wings to get in the way
and eng/box will be removed and diff drained.
Thanks for reading this. :(
Brian, 8-)
M/Ship sec'/Treas'

les

Post by les »

Brian, It’s not unheard of to roll the car onto its side, using an old mattress or similar for it to settle on. With engine etc removed the weight is greatly reduced. Get the neighbours round!

bbennett

Post by bbennett »

Brian,
I haven't owned a Moggy saloon in ages so I don't remember if there are any good attachment points at the ends of the car. I needed to replace floors in a Bug(frog) Eye Spite. I bolted three 2x6s ( or whatever that is in metric ) into an "H" shape frame like a bed headboard. They were about 6" wider than the body on each side so the body would not touch the ground. I raised the stripped body as far as my jack and some cribbing would safely allow and bolted the headboards to each end. The car could then be flipped 90 degrees to access the bottom. If you have enough room it can be rolled another 90 so you are welding on a horizontal surface. This is cheaper and probably more stable than buying and bolting an engine stand to each end. I've never seen the mattress trick. Not something I'd use if welding. I have seen videos of people rolling a vw bug over into a sand pile, but you wouldn't want to leave it in ground contact for very long.
Good luck, thanks for sharing in this period of radio silence. Keep us posted.
BB

moggybrian

Post by moggybrian »

very interesting 'BB' ;)
problem is for me I have a very 'delicate' back due to a mispent life in the motortrade doing things one should not do!! :evil:
but I think it has resolved itself, :P
Paul who looks after my Jaguar has 'Ughie' my 4dr at present
for some welding and rust prevention!!!!
as I can no longer 'get out and get unde'r without severe consequences,
he is my saviour and his man Will is going to do
things to 'Ughie' that should not be talked about in public..........ha!ha! :oops:
the problem I do have is being supplied with
brand new brake drums that do 'NOT' fit.....yes I know as unbelievable as that sounds..... it is true. :o
I hope everyone reading this is looking after themselves and staying safe....... :idea:
.....thanks BB for you constructive suggetions.
Warm Regards a of you.
Brian 8-)
your increasingy decrepid M/Ship Sec'/Treas' :x
LCVReg' :shock:

bbennett

Post by bbennett »

Brian,
I can relate to the decrepitude. The head on crash that totaled MMPU last November has had lasting effects on my back. The Docs gave me exercises that are mostly done on the floor. Getting down and back up is challenging. The gyms have been closed down for six months because of the Kung flu, just partiality opening again yesterday.
I have not found a replacement for MMPU yet, don't know if I ever will. As a practical matter I've considered a 25 year old Japanese mini truck. On paper they are similar in size, weight, and power to a LCV. Being a right hand drive cab over they have a larger box with fold down sides. Very easy to load and unload for a decrepit 70 something driver. I'm not sure if they are road legal here in NY state and probably can't find out until the motor vehicle offices fully open again. The search goes on.
Cheers,
BB

Ps: what is proper "fish and chips" in the motherland? I had occasion to eat out a couple times in the past week at two different restaurants. Both served heavily breaded fried fish pieces about 3 or 4 inches with French fries and tartar sauce on the side. I've had the dish at a walk up food stand where the fish were longer thinner less breaded filets with round cut fries. American fish fries are longer filets maybe 9-10" served on a bun usually with a red cocktail sauce and French fries and coleslaw.