New engine project

Chat and banter about Minor LCV's
DaveC

New engine project

Post by DaveC »

Hi everyone :)
Some of you know that I use my van UXH653 for work, every day and in all weathers. I have owned her for a little over five years now, and treat her with respect and keep her in good order. When I bought her I noticed a squeak from the 1275 engine, which eventually was was accompanied by piston slap when the engine was under load. I let it go on for about six months before I decided to get the engine rebuilt. I took the block to engineers in Norwich who re-bored the engine and fitted new pistons. They reckoned that when the engine had been rebuilt before, the pistons fitted were oversize by 10thou, and this had caused one to pick up thus causing the noise. Engine reassembled, refitted, run in properly, retorqued...all good. Well for about five thousand miles anyway...now after ten thousand miles gradually the piston slap has returned, and 1-2-3 are fine at 180psi compression, but 4 is down to 110. So deciding on what to do, I came across a newly rebuilt 1275 and decided that, although quite pricey, would be cheaper than buying a cheap van to use for work and having my engine rebuilt yet again.....
So the engine is bought and delivered
New clutch kit and bushes ordered
Engine Hoist acquired along with...
New engine and gearbox mounts
New 25D distributor (points)
Gearbox rear oil seal
New 'BFY' needle and service gasket set for SU HIF44 carb
Anything else I have forgotten do you think?

Now waiting for spring and some warmer weather.....

I have heard folks say that the engine can't be crank started easily with electronic ignition, do you think this is true? I certainly have never been able to start her with the crank, and found the ignition to jump around with the strobe, so suspect the ignition timing may have a bearing.... so I intend to go back to points, and have just won a Peerless Tach/dwell meter on ebay, so looking forward to going back to the old way of doing things. ;)

Cheers
Dave
1958 1/4 ton van (ex PO Engineers) 1275cc

les

Re: New engine project

Post by les »

I can’t see why it would be easier with electronic ignition, unless someone knows different !
Btw Dave, are your 1275 engines from a Marine or Midget?

DaveC

Post by DaveC »

Hi Les
It’s a midget engine, 1973

les

Post by les »

Maybe worth rebuilding the original in that case ?

vabeachlcv

Post by vabeachlcv »

Interesting that ability to crank start is a factor in your planning. With small powerful jump boxes readily available, I can't envision what would make me crank mine other than entertainment value.

Mark Anderton
Virginia Beach, USA
69 LCV
Mark Anderton
Virginia Beach, USA
!969 LCV

Plin

Post by Plin »

:D Welcome to our LCV club Mark!

I am old school I enjoy watching the engine come to life by manual cranking! My Dad always crank started his 1953 Series II van - that is if he couldn't use the rolling down the hill method!! Hardly ever used the actual starter. But I do understand life has moved on since then!!

Dave - hope your new engine is soon breathing new life into your van (once the weather improves!!).

DaveC

Post by DaveC »

I would agree, to me the crank start is a big bonus. I don’t have a starter box thing, in my 43 year motoring career I think I have been stuck and very glad to have crank start three times that I can remember when my starter motor has packed up in my 2CV, HA van or Morris Traveller, so it would be great to have it now. Les, I will sell my old 1275 engine on to someone who wants one to rebuild it once this (new) engine has proved itself. New clutch, etc turning up tomorrow...just need some warm weather now. :D :D
PS my eBay USA made Peerless Dwell/Tach meter was delivered today, very happy with that!

bbennett

Post by bbennett »

It's not always a flat battery that prevents starting. I too have had starter motors go south, relays, corroded cables and terminals, swictchs, and flat spots on the ring gear can keep the engine from turning over. I shocked and puzzled other patrons of a gas station when I hand cranked my Morris two door to life on a snowy January evening. Because it was cold I initially thought the battery was dead. After I got home I eventually found a brush in the starter had frozen up. It was pretty worn anyway so a little ice was enough to push it over the edge. Fortunately I've only rarely needed to use the crank/lug wrench combo which isn't optimal for either task. That said I did keep a set of jumper cables under the seat.

DaveC

Post by DaveC »

Well the Tach/dwell meter is here, along with the engine hoist, so awaiting the warmer weather to get on with the switch over.