Lambretta

Chat and banter about Minor LCV's
les

Lambretta

Post by les »

Ok, so nothing to say about lcvs, how about Lambrettas, I’m pretty sure this one was modified by Supertune of Croydon, a GT200, bored to 250cc. The style of the series 3 has never been beaten, and they were quick.
Oh that’s a shame picture too large, hope this site, if it still survives, will allow a bit more file size. Even when reduced it won’t load !!

bbennett

Re: Lambretta

Post by bbennett »

Don’t know about Lambrettas how about James? I’ve had a ML125 for 47 years that I’ve still to get running. It has a 125cc, 2 stroke, single cylinder, Villiers engine. The magneto coil was missing but an eBay replacement didn’t fix the problem. Any old cycle gurus out there?

les

Post by les »

Maybe not an issue with the magneto, could be elsewhere, I presume you have no spark.

bbennett

Post by bbennett »

Hi Les,
No spark. Before buying the Villiers coil I had tried to adapt a Briggs & Stratton lawn mower coil. Got a weak erratic spark and at best a single pop. The eBay coil doesn’t appear to have continuity in the secondary winding. The magnets in the flywheel might be weak and I don’t have a procedure for setting the timing. I might try buying a reproduction coil from eBay. Think they come from India?
Tried contacting a couple James and vintage bike sites on your side of the pond but no response. Kung flu or a decline in participation like we are seeing at this forum? It’s our Thanksgiving holiday over here today. Over eating ahead this afternoon.
BB

les

Post by les »

Hi bb,
This might be useful.
http://www.james-motorcycles.com/manuals/

bbennett

Post by bbennett »

Thanks Les,
A lot to explore there. A quick look explained why no response from the simply wizard site. The originator died several years ago.

les

Post by les »

I couldn’t find any actual ML125 manual downloads online but I expect you have also looked.
Hope the Thanksgiving is going well.