R.I.P. MMPU

Chat and banter about Minor LCV's
bbennett

Re: R.I.P. MMPU

Post by bbennett »

Most pickups for sale have been "restored". The challenge is finding one that restored to my taste. Both of these are presently for sale in the range of the insurance payout but a couple thousand miles away. Doesn't make for convenient inspection or a test drive. The green one has a funky silver quilted interior but worthy of consideration. What can I say about the purple one?
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (72.03 KiB) Viewed 1499 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (61.13 KiB) Viewed 1499 times

bigaadams

Post by bigaadams »

I not so long back came across the ad for the green one....but I did not save the search link....I remember it was on the upper bracket on price....while not stock....it is not butchered either and has the correct bumper, emblems, almost correct hood trim and glass frames etc...the personal accents are a quick change to suit your taste.

The purple one, its purple, its flamed...two things over done per my taste...but then that is just me....

bbennett

Post by bbennett »

So long.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (149.67 KiB) Viewed 1478 times

AMD 69

Post by AMD 69 »

Glad you found one. It’s hard letting go.... l had my first car for 27 years.

Good luck for 2020. Who knows I might be restoring your old one day here in the U.K. we have a 1961 VW pickup from New Zealand at mo.

Cheers Matt.

les

Post by les »

Where is your workshop located Matt ? Sounds like you’re up and running!

starider

Post by starider »

Hi, only just picked this up while browsing during a boring Boxing Day. I personally would do a rough assessment of parts/panels that seem OK and those needing replacement and assess whether the project is cost effective,if it is viable,then seriously consider purchasing a new chassis.Fit all the OK parts[body and mechanical] purchasing new/used replacements as necessary.
Only a suggestion!!......................starider

bbennett

Post by bbennett »

Starider
The last photo was MMPU being dragged onto a flatbed tow truck. It's a couple miles away at the Copart salvage auction yard. At this point the top bid is only $200. If I had a way to move it and a place to store it I would bid on it. It's the bent firewall that's the killer for me. The location of that lever arm shock is too critical to the safety and handling for amateur repairs. The Vdub Golf failed inspection this week so I'm faced with fix or replace. I'll probably replace the struts and car shop when it's warmer.
Do you guys have a little Ford pickup called the Courier over there? Saw a blurb that said it might reach the US in 2022, 2020 in Europe.
What is Boxing Day?
On the plus side the lower back pain has been better the last couple days. Maybe recovery is on its way. Happy New Year to all
BB

ivor

Post by ivor »

Only just caught up with the forum, sorry to hear this but so glad you're ok. Hopefully someone will take the van from the salvage yard and do her up. All the best.

bbennett

Post by bbennett »

Hemmings Motor News did a little piece on my Morrisless predicament .

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2020/01/2 ... t-10690686

Not sure if that is going to work as a link, doesn't look like a url, no underline?

Plin

Post by Plin »

:D Your link does work. I see you have had a few ideas of what to replace your pick-up with!

We do have Ford Courier van over here but I know nothing about them.

Boxing day is the day following Christmas Day - a nod back to an old tradition " A 'Christmas Box' in Britain is a name for a Christmas present. Boxing Day was traditionally a day off for servants and the day when they received a 'Christmas Box' from the master. The servants would also go home on Boxing Day to give 'Christmas Boxes' to their families. "

Hope your back continues to improve and hope you soon find a sensible replacement for your poor squashed pick-up.