1971 van on Gumtree

Selling an item? List it in here
trunion

Re: 1971 van on Gumtree

Post by trunion »

After getting WRU 251K back on the road I called to see the original owner outside Wareham in Dorset whilst on holiday.

He was surprised to see photos of his old pick-up, he said how difficult it was to get hold of a new one at that time with them going out of production, the agent could only get hold of this 8 cwt pick-up, he used it moving building materials renovating the cottage he still lived in at the time of my visit, he said it was often well overloaded.

He parked it up one night under some pine trees that had some pigeons roosting in them, the bird droppings that had landed on his new tilt had rotted it through within days, he didn't make that mistake again with the new replacement tilt.

He still had the original bill of sale and true to his word he looked it out and posted it to me.

Triumph66

Post by Triumph66 »

trunion wrote:After getting WRU 251K back on the road I called to see the original owner outside Wareham in Dorset whilst on holiday.

He was surprised to see photos of his old pick-up, he said how difficult it was to get hold of a new one at that time with them going out of production, the agent could only get hold of this 8 cwt pick-up, he used it moving building materials renovating the cottage he still lived in at the time of my visit, he said it was often well overloaded.

He parked it up one night under some pine trees that had some pigeons roosting in them, the bird droppings that had landed on his new tilt had rotted it through within days, he didn't make that mistake again with the new replacement tilt.

He still had the original bill of sale and true to his word he looked it out and posted it to me.

That's a great story. I love having all that history about a vehicle's background. I am the third owner of AMD; the first was the GPO for some 9 years, then the second was a guy in Berkshire who used it to drive around painting pictures and so forth for some 30 odd years. I bought it at an auction in Devon as it was sold as part of a house clearance.

Incidentally, Wareham is a lovely Dorset town in the Purbecks and it's so olde worlde that you can just picture your old pickup driving around there. Be great to see some photos of your steed.

ivor

Post by ivor »

Interesting use of the word 'mint' ! That looks like a nicely patinated original van, a few scratches and dings, and some tiny patches of visible rust under the bonnet in the places you'd expect. But my understanding of 'mint' is something that looks like it's still in the dealer's showroom with no trace of use whatsoever.
I like that beige, when we get around to fixing the bodywork on ours, I'm minded to change the colour, that Antelope is a good possibility.

les

Post by les »

One in showroom condition would be described as -----Extra strong mint!