Minor LCV Register Forum

Welcome to the new forum for the Minor LCV Register
It is currently Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:30 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:32 pm 

Hi lads , Roof panel should be the same ,no pickup has bench seats, and van seats sit lower down so if shorter you can fit saloon seats.

cheers AMD.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:58 pm 

AMD 69 wrote:
Hi lads , ... ,no pickup has bench seats, cheers AMD.

Incorrect

Had you said that no pick up in the UK has bench seats, you would be correct.

Bench seats were standard in Australia :)

http://www.minorlcvreg.co.uk/forum/index.php

http://www.morrisdownunder.com/forum/index.php

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:59 pm 

No Worrys Frosty better with body work Russ is better for world LCV history. sorry.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:19 am 

I have one with bench seats delivered in oz, but nothing special about that still tight getting in and out and not adjustable. There is a cut out in the middle for the gear stick. Seat isn't comfortable at all, I have put late model MG seats in and maybe gained 20mm. I am yet to permanently fix them. In the last morrie commercial magazine there in the middle page with bench seats was one.

Subscribe and get a back order.

Ron

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:24 am 

Back to the subject in hand, if a sedan is that rare and hard to come by, and rust seems to be a problem, then wouldn't finding a rust free sedan be on a similar cost level as getting new panels and repairing the cab you have? as you will need some panels anyway as the sills and floor pans will need changing (vans are flat, sedans drop down for rear foot well)
Maybe you could put up some pics of your cab for us to see the extent of the rust?
I think either option involves a similarly large amount of work, not really sure which would be easier.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:43 pm 

Yes, I'll have to get some photos up. Rust has touched almost every portion of the cab and engine compartment for a distance of about 6 inches up from the floor. Assuming the $$ cost was similar between a sedan front end and individual panel replacement; I would consider rust repair as very labor intensive and would require many more hours to accomplish, which I'd like to do much to avoid.

I've read that here in the US, there were only 108 vans ever officially exported to America by Nuffield. I think there were many thousands of sedans exported so although sedans are not common place, there's always a couple of dozen for sale on the west coast where I live. I certainly wouldn't cannibalize a perfectly good sedan but if a rear ended one became available, I just wanted to know how much of an option it would be to use as a front end replacement.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:00 pm 

I used to see a few vans at British car events here in upstate NY but have never seen another pickup. DMV found one (PU) in their database when I registered mine. I guess they wanted to see if I was making up a lie. Years earlier when I tried to register my '59 Elva Courier they told me my car didn't exist because there was no such thing in "their computer".
I have owned several Morris cars. My first buy was 4 of them! Poor guy was getting divorced and the wife was getting the garage (lock up?). One was just parts, got 3 running and sold 2 and the last I drove essentially for free.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:24 am 

Well, I looked through all my photo's and hadn't taken any pictures of the inside floor section of the cab area, but just to give you an idea of the level of rust I'm dealing with, here's a couple of pictures of the frame. The frame was caustic dipped and then sprayed with fresh black paint so it doesn't appear rusty brown, but you don't need to see that color to tell it's been rusted. Someone had crudely attempted to repair the front frame leg with plates at one time. Click on the photo see a larger image.

Practically nothing left. This is the way the cab looks.

Rust in between spot welds cause sheet metal to expand and pooch up

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:20 pm 

Greg,
What was the outcome of your car/truck transplant? Sadly I find myself in a similar situation, see "RIP MMPU "
As to bench seats down under are they attached by the threaded holes in two short channels located near the bottom of the cab back? I can't see any other possible purpose for these mounting brackets. But then I'm a few thousand miles from the motherland.
Bill B

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:51 pm 

Gregg last posted about 5 years ago Bill, he may not visit here now.