E05 unlead - what is the situation?

LCV information requests and exchange
QCS

E05 unlead - what is the situation?

Post by QCS »

I notice that my local ASDA is now selling only 'E05' unleaded. I read various stories about it being the 'doom' of the 'heritage' petrol vehicles as only petrol engine of vehicles built after circa 2002 will not be harmed by it.

What is the truth?

My little 'Moggie' van has had the odd trip out since the start of the pandemic - I have to keep the telephones working ;)

bbennett

Re: E05 unlead - what is the situation?

Post by bbennett »

Unleaded 10% ethanol has been the norm in the northeast and I think most of the US for quite some time. The MMPU ran ok on it. I generally added a stabilizer to the gas as the truck didn't get a lot of miles during the warm months and none at all after the first saltable snowfall. Shelf life seems to be reduced. There is the concern about valve wear without lead. The alcohol attracts water so watch out for rust. I had no issues with fuel system gasket deterioration. Can't speak to cold weather running but Merry Olde doesn't get as cold as "New England" does it? They adjust the formula seasonally or used to I believe. Don't know the details of your E05.

les

Post by les »

My understanding is E5 is ok, the introduction of E10 is a possible worry for old vehicles.

PoolGuy

Post by PoolGuy »

My van has done 6k miles on e5 this year, I haven’t noticed any issues.

DaveC

Post by DaveC »

I had to change my tank to filler connecting hose as the old one became porous from the ethanol, and my petrol pump as the diaphragm was oozing brown goo. I had already changed the fuel pipe to carb...apart from that no problems, although I have tried Castrol Valvemaster additive to control what I think may be over-vapourising in the summer. Not sure about that yet given other engine problems..... ;)
1958 1/4 ton van (ex PO Engineers) 1275cc

QCS

Post by QCS »

DaveC

Post by DaveC »

Very interesting article. There are many additives (Valvemaster being one of them) that claim to ‘stabilise’ ethanol fuels and prevent their water absorption characteristics, which rot the bottom of our tanks out. Whether they do or not I don’t know as I’m no chemist, but for a bit of extra cost I think it’s worth using one.... :)
1958 1/4 ton van (ex PO Engineers) 1275cc