Minor LCV Register Forum

Welcome to the new forum for the Minor LCV Register
It is currently Mon May 27, 2019 3:44 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Bulkhead
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:50 am 

Hi, just wondering if anyone has ever made, or seen, an interior bulkhead in a van, made from a pick-up cab back ? Obviously it would need some surgery around the outside to make it fit. We have a couple of small steam engines we are making, plus I do some auto jumbling, and a good strong bulkhead, even perhaps a bolt in job, would be great. I am particularly thinking of doing it out of a cab back as this would make the van much warmer in Winter than say a mesh one.
Cheers, Tony.

Post subject: Re: Bulkhead
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:48 pm 

Hi Tony

I've not seen one on the market. I think the PO used a wire bulkhead, so you may be able to use one if those with aluminium or steel sheet riveted to it, maybe with push on sealing rubber around the edges?

Regards

Kevin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:32 pm 

Hi, I wasn't meaning one that was 'available', but whether anyone had modified a pick up bulkhead to fit. I would have thought it possible if the edges were trimmed. I was just hoping someone had done it and had a template.
I may have to be the trailblazer !
Cheers.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:43 pm 

Hi, seems a lot of trouble to go to,plus you may have a job to find a pick-up cab back. A steel frame with 50mm square welded mesh,which is then powder coated in black is what I intend to use.It will be manufactured in two halves and hinged so that one half can be folded back to allow for longer items can be fed through into the passenger area.
We run a steel band so our van will carry up to 6 steel pans.We use a Ford Connect Van which is fitted with a safety mesh and in my opinion any van which carries goods should be fitted with a safety guard, Having had to do several emergency stops and having goods ram it's self against the guard instead of me, made me realise the importance of having such a guard.I haven't made the guard yet, but if anyone would like drawings/pictures of it when completed send me a PM and I'll make a list[It will be be a winter project].................starider

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:58 am 

I totally agree about protection for the occupants whilst carrying goods, and also I like the idea of having some protection from whiplash in a rear end shunt.
I have a pick up cab back. It's not brilliant so I would not necessarily worry about butchering it to make a bulkhead. I like the idea of using one as if done properly it would give a factory fitted look.
Even if I make one from scratch, I definitely want one that stops air flow. Had a ride in a pick up once, it was 10x warmer than my van !

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:01 am 

Hi, a purpose built safety frame could be covered in something like Perspex to seal the cab. This would have the added advantage of allowing more light into the cargo area. Still it seems you intend to fit a Pick-up cab back, so good luck with the work and pics. please when finished.......starider

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:11 am 

I know it's been a while since I posted on this subject. We are busy stripping the van out to send off the body and cab off to be professionally welded, and once it was fairly clear in the back, we tried the pick-up cab back inside the van.
Eureka! It fits, probably only needs half to one inch off the bottom to clear the floor. With glass fitted and insulated it will make the front much more comfortable, plus safer for my son who will be driving it with miniature steam engines in the back.
Here is a picture with 'Maurice' the resident van bear looking through from the cab.
Image[/URL]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:43 pm 

:D Great to see Maurice looking happy with the progress (interesting paw though!).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:31 pm 

That's evolution for you!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:23 am 

Ok guys, it 'might' have been my son Niall's hand you can see, not entirely sure.............