Minor LCV Register Forum

Welcome to the new forum for the Minor LCV Register
It is currently Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:30 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: A long day out.
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:38 pm 

My little 1967 GPO engineers van had a day out yesterday (Thursday 13th June - how time flies?) and managed to cover 458 miles in an interesting trip out.

Left North Wales at midnight to be at the ExCel centre in the east of London by 6am ready for an event which ran from 7.30am until 10pm ! Then leaving to return home at around 11pm to arrive home 30 hours after leaving

It was a purely internal event run by 'Openreach' - the arms-length subsidiary of BT's which runs the UK's main telecoms 'cable' infrastructure - originally overhead copper wires, then copper cable and now rapidly converting to fibre-optic to delivery faster and faster broadband.

There were three vehicles in the main event room on the third floor - my 1967 GPO engineers van, an 1941 version and the very latest Openreach vehicle only received the day before - an electric only equivalent of my van complete in a new Openreach livery I've never seen before with no mention of BT anywhere and a large map of the UK on the sides.

My little van is kitted out as it would have been in 1967/69 - the last days of the GPO before it became a State Owned Corporation rather than a Government Department. A lot of interest was shown in it and its kit by the thousand or so Openreach staff who were present from Director level downwards.

And what you may be adding to your collection in fifty years time (if they survive?)

Post subject: Re: A long day out.
PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:09 am 

Looks very nice, much more interesting than the latest ‘greatest’ zero emissions van.

Monte on Instagram

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:56 pm 

What a very long day! Your van looks splendid, and will outlast the lovely new shiny one!!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:30 pm 

Would have love to have gone , any detail shots of inside your rare van.

Cheers Matt.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:46 pm 

AMD 69 wrote:
Would have love to have gone , any detail shots of inside your rare van.

Cheers Matt.

I'll take a couple. It is fitted out with the kit that would have been around when new in 1967 and the next couple of years. Ladder is a No 5 dated 1965. Kit inside includes most kit for repairing subscribers telephones plus subsscribers bare overhead wires - even a coil of brand new 40ld cadmium copper and all the copper sleeves and tools. Safety belts of the era , boxes of N diagrams and other appropriate books , POEU handbook, Staff Handbook, Timesheets etc. I'm lucky enough to have the van's original 'Tool and Plant Record' book where the driver signed for the van and the tools in it in 1967. How many other preserved vans still have that? Given a fine day I'll get an updated photo or two.

Just got to fit a couple of work phone lines in it to demonstrate old telephones. Been setting up two lines today for an old electro-mechanical exchange system being installed by BT in Holborn Exchange in London!.

Ian J

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:45 am 

Plin wrote:
What a very long day! Your van looks splendid, and will outlast the lovely new shiny one!!

Read in Breitbart that Ireland wants to ban private and petrol vehicles in the next 11 to 31 years. True?? It would be sad if the electric cart were the survivor. Did I hear something about the EU trying to ban motor racing over there as well? Thought we were the ones with all the green deal nut jobs.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:47 pm 

We’ve got a lot of people who care about the planet as well. Good job too!