Crewe Heritage Centre - Crewe

Chat and banter about Minor LCV's
QCS

Crewe Heritage Centre - Crewe

Post by QCS »

Off to the above location tomorrow as they have a vintage vehicle event as part of the http://sparepartsfestival.co.uk/crewe/event Taking my little van and some telephone equipment I've now managed to set up and get working so I can have a number of phones of the period working and able to dial all over the world to other preserved phones using the old GPO dialling codes of the 1960's. Next job is to get an old 'GPO Radiophone' working in the van. Our telephone area (Chester) had low band Pye Radiotelephones in some of their vans - there was an article in the Institute of Post Office Electrical Engineers Journal about the Chester area system.

les

Re: Crewe Heritage Centre - Crewe

Post by les »

Have a good day, sounds like you’ve got an interesting set up.

Plin

Post by Plin »

How exciting that you are able to dial up other preserved phones abroad. Hope you get a 'GPO Radiophone' up and running for your van.

QCS

Post by QCS »

Plin wrote:How exciting that you are able to dial up other preserved phones abroad. Hope you get a 'GPO Radiophone' up and running for your van.
Luckily I have the control unit, microphone & loudspeaker for a Pye Radiophone as used for the GPO public network, so shouldn't be too hard to 'knock' one up that connects to our replica of the GPO public phone network as it was getting on for fifty years ago.

Plin

Post by Plin »

Well it sounds a marvellous idea. My Dad was an engineer who worked on aircraft in the war years then used to work for Pye in Littleport, Cambs (this was in the 1960's) but sadly he passed away a while ago and never really shared what he did there. Good luck getting your system up and running.

bbennett

Post by bbennett »

My dad worked for the phone company for 50 years here in NY. Said one of the worst jobs was decommissioning pay phones, the booth weighed a ton and was a PITA to wrestle onto the truck.
If they were the Doctor Who type you had over there I guess you could just send them into the future or past? Interesting that the early ny tel truck was a similar shade of green. Leftover WWII paint? I have a couple of b+w pics but they didn't scan well enough to post.
BB