Minor LCV Register Forum

Welcome to the new forum for the Minor LCV Register
It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:16 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:53 pm 

Hi Lady’s and Gents, With the current global trends towards electric cars what are your views on the future for classic cars sharing the main roads of Great Britain minus...Scotland Northern Ireland and Wales.
Will we get petrol in the year 2029 ??? Just 10 years time.

You can now buy a Jaguar E type from Jaguar heritage with an electric power plant

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:26 pm 

Call me an old fool or denier. I don't buy the great flood will wash us away in 10 - 12 years however...
Seems like we are being herded into urban centers with less personal transportation options.
Kids don't seem as interested or excited about driving cars, can you say "personnel devices, social media"?
Cultures around the world are being erased by mass migration. The historical photos we post mean nothing to the newbes.
I for one don't enjoy driving anymore. The roads here are clogged with hulking SUVs, 4x4s, and semi's. See my avitar as an example. Even the new Mini isn't that small anymore. Is there a new vehicle that weighs less than a ton?
Where will all the lithium and electricity come from? We need a new grid to support the required charging stations unless personal travel is simply eliminated.
I can't remember, how long did it take to phase out leaded gas? Ten years? Over here it's hard to find non-ethanol contaminated gas. It's called premium and costs more.
I'm not real optimistic about the future of our cherished MMs. They will probably die with us old farts.
BB

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:07 am 

Well said....

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:09 pm 

Very true..although most LCV’s have died at least once and made a comeback. I can’t see us doing that!

You’re right about the lithium. There is nothing environmentally friendly about it, apparently they are using slave labour to mine it and you can’t get rid of it safely. If 32 million cars had 3 batteries each which needed renewing every 3/5 years that would be around 25 million toxic scrap batteries per year to get rid of! On top of that, as demand rose so would the price including charging costs . I read an article which suggested Britain would need at least NINE more power stations. And all that dwarfs the daunting task of installing the maintenance structure and charging network to charge up to 32 million vehicles daily and with a range of about 150 miles on a good day! A complete rethink and overhaul of public transport and rail haulage is probably our best option.

Kevin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:46 am 

There is no carbon falling to earth from outer space. All the carbon we have has always been here. It's called fossil fuel because it came from previous life on earth. That said if carbon is a problem natural gas is a fuel that contains less of it. We have a lot of it over here, problem is storage in a vehicle and its lower energy density. Like an electric car NG would have a shorter cruising range. It might be more practical to convert a MM to NG than electric but we still lose much of the charm we find special in driving and maintaining our 50 or 60 year old little beasties.
Matt,
So what is the significance of the AMD number plate prefix? Hard to make out the caption under the newspaper photo. Is 69 the build date of your van?
As an outsider I don't understand the reference to Scotland, Wales, and N.Ireland? Brexit ref? What's the latest news on that front? Haven't heard much about the G7 or EU yet.
BB

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:54 am 

bbennett wrote:
As an outsider I don't understand the reference to Scotland, Wales, and N.Ireland? Brexit ref?
BB

It comes from having an idiot in charge, something that I'm sure you can relate to :mrgreen:

Monte on Instagram

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:01 pm 

bbennett wrote:
There is no carbon falling to earth from outer space. All the carbon we have has always been here. It's called fossil fuel because it came from previous life on earth. That said if carbon is a problem natural gas is a fuel that contains less of it. We have a lot of it over here, problem is storage in a vehicle and its lower energy density. Like an electric car NG would have a shorter cruising range. It might be more practical to convert a MM to NG than electric but we still lose much of the charm we find special in driving and maintaining our 50 or 60 year old little beasties.
Matt,
So what is the significance of the AMD number plate prefix? Hard to make out the caption under the newspaper photo. Is 69 the build date of your van?
As an outsider I don't understand the reference to Scotland, Wales, and N.Ireland? Brexit ref? What's the latest news on that front? Haven't heard much about the G7 or EU yet.
BB

Hi , The significance of AMD is just the start of my GPO vans number plate which was the last numberplate block used by the GPO Just before the 1/ 10/ 69 when the GPO finished , my van was registered on the 26/9/69. So my old van is the 2nd to last GPO left unfortunately for me AMD 467H is Still with us and is the last GPO van left. It’s in Hastings and Painted green but my one will be put back to original spec .

And as for Great Britain well it looks like we will be .... just England so a new flag will be needed ?.....