Minor LCV Register Forum

Welcome to the new forum for the Minor LCV Register
It is currently Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:56 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:06 pm 

Good to see the forum active again. Another 2 cents (pence?) from over here. I'm not aware of a straight electric that will go 350 miles on a charge in the real world. Here in the northeast we absolutely need windshield defrost in the winter unless you like I, drove my Elva Courier with no top to keep my breath from freezing on the glass. Freezing rain required sticking my head outside to look around the screen.
We old guys like some cabin heat in the winter and sometimes AC in the summer. Freezing temperatures take a toll on battery output as well. Hybrids make a little more efficiency sense but seem overly complicated. How far is it from South to north GB, 350 - 400 miles? NY is about 300 miles north to south and east to west.
I would love to see the original Minor and Mini brought back with a modern small engine. Wouldn't need anything bigger than a liter to move a sub-ton compact at modern speeds. Ditch the exploding airbags, padding, and big bumpers and get the weight down to 1600 - 1800#.
Been trying to follow the Brexit but I don't understand British politics. Do you have regular elections or do they pop up whenever there is a serious dispute? Being descendent of the Brexit of 1776 I don't understand the remainers. Back then the Tories were the remainers and New York City was their enclave. NYC still remains one of the centers far left activism.
BB

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:01 am 

bbennett wrote:
om I don't understand British politics.

Simply put, at the moment, you elected your idiot, we had ours forced upon us :mrgreen:

Monte on Instagram

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:39 pm 

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:36 pm 

Hi, a long time since I was on this forum,a couple of things,at last my Van is being re-sprayed,I've done a deal with a guy who needs an engine fitted in his classic boat,so I am in the process of building and marinising a Ford 100E engine to fit in his Albatross Sport Boat![He used to work at Morgans working on bodywork and painting].
Back to electric cars, a friend purchased a Nissan Leaf in 2013,nearly 3 years ago the batteries would only recharge to under 80%. He was told new batteries would be almost 6000 pounds, but that Nissan couldn't or wouldn't supply new ones. After numerous attempts to get batteries,being on consumer radio programs and tried Trading Standards and any body who might help he eventually found a company who supplied him with refurbished items, so is still battling on.He drives everywhere at night[where he can]on side lights and in the winter can't use the heater.He has had to buy a small diesel car to use for longer journeys if he can't plan a route which covers enough charging points.
There was a program on the radio several weeks ago where the experts suggested that in future you would buy an electric car then rent the batteries for a monthly sum. I was also speaking to someone whilst waiting for the Park and Ride, who had just taken his electric car for service, who said long journeys were a problem,one because charging points were very sparse and also the car would only take a couple of fast charges because the charging would cause over heating,so several hours are needed for cooling before the next charge.You never hear of these problems.
It seems they are fine for minimal use around town.Imagine in London down the rows of houses and flats, the trip hazard of all the extension leads across the pavements!!!.....................starider ;)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:54 am 

My son recently graduated as an electrical engineer & has landed himself a plum job as an electrical test engineer mainly working on electrical vehicle technology, so i have a particular interest! As said by others lithium is not green in any way & long distance ev use is a problem in this country.
Where electric vehicles do score is in particular circumstances, if your electricity is generated locally & or your usage is local.
We had a solar panel array fitted last spring & the engineer who inspected the job before installation made the comment, "Many people think they are making savings & saving the planet by fitting panels, but when the panels are working they are not there, they are at work!". In our case both my wife & i work part time so one or other of us is nearly always at home, so appliances like dishwasher & washing machine always go on during the day when the panels are generating. For us an EV would make sense as it could be charged during the day & could be used solely for local use within 5 to ten miles.
For long distance use we would still need a petrol car.
We have thought about converting our Moggy pickup to electric but havent made the decision yet. There seems to be quite a bit of interest in such things but the ev industry is geared from the start to be a closed loop with fully recyclable components (batteries etc) this means secondhand gear is always going to be hard to get. Also the fact that the electronics & voltages involved are way beyond most amateurs capacity to work with safely.
We were staying in Norway with friends last year & they are going over to EV use in a big way, But with a small population they can afford to, Power generation is split into highly localised bits & these are often hydroelectric, everywhere you go ev's get free priority parking in town centres & charging is free while you park, cant see that happening here!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:02 am 

Hi,watched a program the other morning which included an item on electric cars,the general opinion seemed to be that charging points were non standard i.e.charging sockets varied too much,there were nowhere enough,they often weren't working and other motorists were using the bays for parking!! I have thought about"re-fuelling" your electric car battery and thinking about the number of vehicles going in and out garage forecourts in say an hour,for fuel,how will it ever be possible for an equivalent number of electric vehicles to be topped up in the time it takes for a diesel or petrol top up??? I'm sure time will tell,almost certainly not in my lifetime............................starider :?:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:15 pm 

Do you have E-85, 85% ethanol fuel over there in GB or EU? They also call it flex fuel over here. Supposed to be lower emissions, partly renewable. Doesn't seem to have caught on big. I've heard mileage is about 20% lower than gas,petrol. Would probably be the easier conversion. Rejet the carb maybe recurve the distributor and replace soluble gaskets and hoses. It collects water so fuel system rust is also a concern. Probably doesn't age well in a vented fuel system.
Where I worked at GE they had four free charging ports for employees. They were almost always in use on first shift (when all the white collar people worked) not so much on the mostly blue collar off shifts. Nice benefit if you could afford an electric car. We also had a big solar farm that I'm told offset about $10,000 of our million plus electric bill.
To your point, I haven't timed it but a self serve pay at the pump pit stop must be under five minutes? and my old Golf is good for at least 300 more miles.
BB

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:35 am 

We seem to have E10 creeping in, E85 sounds awful?

Monte on Instagram

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:54 pm 

Just read an article about Tesla owners being stranded in California where the grid is being shutdown in certain areas to reduce the chances of wildfires. There were a couple big fires that were attributed power line sparks earlier.

"John Pearley Huffman, Car and Driver:

Weeks can be a long wait if you’re looking at a Model 3 in your garage with a drained battery, no electrical power to charge it, and the closest grocery store with power 80 miles away. But such is life in the Golden State, where forests and chaparral are all on hair triggers ready to ignite with slightest transformer malfunction or transmission line break. And the political environment demands minimal risk after the 2018 fire season produced 8527 conflagrations burning an astonishing 1,893,913 acres of wild lands and more than 18,000 structures...
California is experimenting with its power-generation future. And right now, that experiment is hurting. Particularly those electric-car owners with dead batteries."

Last edited by bbennett on Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:02 pm 

87 octane E10 is standard here. Alcohol free is available in a limited number of stations as premium, 91 or 93 octane I think at a premium price. Unfortunately no such stations in my neighborhood, maybe 10 miles out of the way. It's just a government scam to keep the corn farmers, ethanol lobby, and the greenies happy and voting for them. It's sad to remember that when I was a teen working a summer job in a Sunoco station 92 was regular and premium was over 101 octane. I think super was 110.